Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Night on the Town

Think nothing is going on in Downtown Dallas? I wish you’d been able to tag along with my wife and I last Friday evening! We started with attending a lecture at Booker T. Washington by the renowned Austrian architect Peter Fattinger. He and his students have built innovative and experimental buildings in Vienna, South Africa and Indonesia. He was the opening speakers at Stuctures for Inclusion 9 (SF9), about which I may have more to say later.

By the way, if you haven’t seen it yet, the new Booker T. is spectacular, and the setting is even more spectacular. I walked over from the center of downtown, passing Mariachi’s playing in front of the Cathedral and losing myself staring at the new Winspear Opera House.

After the lecture, we met our adult children at CityWalk@Akard so they could see the latest progress on the construction.

Then it was off to the King Tut exhibit. If you haven’t been yet, I’d recommend that you join the other 500,000 people who have taken advantage of the opportunity. It is a real wonder and delight to see the artifacts of a culture that flourish 3,500 years ago.

By the time we finished touring the exhibition, it was almost midnight (last Friday was one of the Dallas Museum of Art’s late nights, so the Museum was still open). Finally we went down to the West End for something to eat before all heading home.

It wasn’t just last weekend that stuff was going on downtown. This week it’s the Dallas AFI film festival—I went last year and it’s very worth while. All of us who live in the city need to start taking advantage of what’s going on. I know I’m not gong to regret missing a couple of nights of staying home and watching television.

No comments:

Post a Comment