Thursday, March 12, 2009

Flashing Lights

Driving to work today, I saw a familiar sight, the flashing lights on a police car stopped at an accident. Usually that means a delay, sometimes a long one. Today it didn’t.

Two cars were stopped in addition to the police car, one facing the wrong way in the far left lane. It was another accident when somebody was trying to make an ill advised left turn.

Just as I drove by, two women, one black, one white, neither young, hugged.

For me to see this, the timing had to be just right, because in a few seconds I was by the scene of the accident and on my way.

It changed my day. I had been dreading work today, knowing I didn’t have anything on my schedule but the kind of necessary, boring and vaguely unpleasant tasks that take up much of all of our working days.

One good thing can change an entire day.

No comments:

Post a Comment