Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Too Close for Comfort

















Last Thursday, the FBI arrested Hosam Maher Husein Smadi on charges that he planned to blow up Fountain Place in Downtown Dallas. Now I’m about as phlegmatic a person as you can find most of the time. Back on September 11, 2001, my partner had to explain to me why we needed to let the staff go home for the rest of the day. My first thought was that it was a terrible tragedy, but it was a long way away and there wasn’t any danger here in Dallas, so there wasn’t any reason not to just keep working.

Fountain Place, however, is only across the street from CityWalk@Akard. All the pictures you see here of Fountain Place were taken from CityWalk on the Saturday following the arrest of Smadi. That’s close to home. I can see Fountain Place from my office at CityWalk. A real explosion there would very likely damage our building, maybe severely.

When a threat comes that close to home, then it makes you think (or at least makes me think) more seriously about the problem. It also makes me glad (and my lenders I’m sure) that we have terrorism coverage on the building, but it’s a terrible thing that we need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment